Monday, June 29, 2009

"Transformers" Won't Change

I think it should be pretty obvious why I chose Metallic Wings as the fractal for my review of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. It's all about the metal and the fact that some of the transformers fly.
-
Two years ago I wrote a review of the first Transformers movie--and called it Transformers Turns Into The Perfect Summer Movie. (You can read the review by checking out my post of July 9, 2007 if you want to refresh your memory.) The sequel is pretty much the same song, second verse. As a result this review will be rather short since there just isn't much I can add.
-
If you liked Transformers you'll probably like the sequel. I LOVED Transformers but I found I only liked the newest incarnation. Pretty much all the cast is back. Shia LeBueuf isn't as funny or charming in this outing and poor Megan Fox isn't given much to do other than look good in tight jeans. Josh Duhamel and Tyrese Gibson barely register. You have to check your brain at the door because the plot doesn't bear close scrutiny: still, the movie clicks along nicely so the plot points really don't matter. The FX are MUCH better but I found there were too many battle scenes (that went way too long), Likewise the negro stereotypes of Sideswipe and Mudflap grew really tiresome, really quickly. Even so, the movie is a fun, popcorn no-brainer that is a nice summertime diversion for fans of such things. "Serious" movie fans should (and no doubt WILL) avoid Transformers 2.
-
FINAL GRADE: B+

No comments: