Thursday, November 29, 2007

Gotta Love Them Wacky Roberts Boys...

I always pick a “Stained Glass” post when I’m ragging on religion. (This one just happens to be Stained Glass 60.) For a change though I won’t be taking on the Catholic Church: instead I’ll be talking about those wacky Roberts’ boys in Tulsa Oklahoma. (But hey, you probably figured that out from the title, eh what?)
-
You gotta love them wacky “Roberts’” boys. First Oral (and I do so love that name!) Roberts tells his television audience that God would “call him home” if his viewers didn’t raise a certain amount of cash (I think it was nine million dollars) for some project or other. Oddly enough, he actually GOT the money--most of it from a Dog Track owner in Florida (with a long criminal record). Now his son Richard has decided to resign the Presidency of Oral Roberts University after being accused of financial management of school funds including multiple remodeling projects on the family mansion, allowing his daughters to use the University Jet (ORU has a university jet???), giving nonacademic scholarships to friends of the Roberts’ children and buying his wife a Lexus SUV.
-
In his statement he said he had “had a long talk with God and wanted to fight the charges but God had insisted he resign--because America had become such a ‘litigious’ society.” I don’t live in Tulsa but here in SoCal we have a name for people who talk to God. We call them schizophrenics! Frankly, I don’t know what I find more hilarious--the fact that Roberts might actually believe this story or the fact that he expects us to swallow it!
-
Maybe I’m not a very good Christian or maybe I simply lack understanding of God’s Plan. Maybe if I had enough faith God would speak to me. Most likely I’m just too big a cynic to swallow a whopper like this. It boggles my mind that God would insist that Roberts NOT fight the accusations (especially false ones as Roberts insists). Sorry Ricky-boy--if you ain’t fighting this battle it’s because you did something wrong! It is truly sad to think that there are people out there who will take this statement at face value and not question it in the least but that’s a post for another time. In the meantime--has God been talking to YOU?

No comments: