Monday, November 12, 2007

Bad Seat Spoils "Pajama"

You have to follow a “chain of associations” to figure out why I chose DUVET as the fractal for today’s post. For those of you who might not know “Duvet” is a fancy word a quilt. Quilts usually go on beds and one wears pajamas to bed. Today I will be reviewing the Musical Theater West production of THE PAJAMA GAME and the chain is complete. ANYway--on with the review!
-
Bad seats can really spoil your enjoyment of a show: Robyn and I had seats slightly off center in the fourth row of Carpenter Center and yet my seat was “bad”. As soon as I sat down I knew I was going to be in trouble: the seat was canted about fifteen degrees downward so I began a slow slide forward until butt was poised on the edge of the seat and my shoulders were soon against the seat back--but nothing else was supported! I ended up bracing my feet so using my arms as anchors so I wouldn’t slide. I didn’t move but my muscles started cramping almost immediately. Luckily I was able to move to a different seat fir Act Two but I’m afraid it rather colored my opinion of the entire show. But enough about my viewing experience. On with the review!
-
THE PAJAMA GAME is the stuff of Broadway legend: the show (based on the novel 7 1/2 CENTS by Richard Bissel) was offered to famous composer Frank Loesser (of GUYS AND DOLLS fame) but he was unavailable. He recommended neophyte “pop” composers Richard Adler and Jerry Ross (who went on to write DAMN YANKESS the next year). The show also helped launch the careers of Choreographer Bob Fosse and Shirley MacLaine who lived the “Chorus Girl becomes a Broadway Star” when she stepped into a featured role when another actress was injured. The show went on to win the Tony Award for “Best Musical” of 1954, became a motion picture and was a multiple “Tony” winner when it was revived in 2004. The most well-known songs from the show include “Hey There” (You With the Stars in Your Eyes…”). “Steam Heat and “Hernando’s Hideaway.”
-
The show is a love story set against the backdrop of labor troubles in a Pajama factory. The union is threatening to strike over their demands for a 71/2 cent an hour wage increase (ah for the days when that actually made a difference in the salary!) but management is determined not to give in. Newly-arrived middle-manager Sid Sorokin falls for “Grievance Committee” Chair Babe Williams, She’s spunky, sparky and totally devoted to the Union. Jealous “Time Study Expert” Norman Hines is carrying on with the flirty-ditzy secretary Gladys.
-
To me, this production is a little threadbare: yes, the show is set in a factory but this minimal set looks slapped together. (I was close enough to see conspicuous gaps in the construction--not a good thing.) There aren’t as many dance numbers as I’d have expected: the ones the cast does do look good if they are a bit repetitive. (Every production numbers has a couple of guys doing tumbling runs across the stage.) The costumes didn’t thrill me but they convey the feel of the period. As always, the “Pit Band” (this time under the direction of Daniel Thomas) was first rate. I don’t know how many people were in the Orchestra but they rocked it out.
-
Paul Dean, as Sid, is good looking and has a magnificent voice. The duet with his own recorded voice on “Hey There” is one of the high points of the show. He isn’t given much to work with in this part and he still underplays his role. He also seemed to be unable to quite keep up with the groups dance numbers. Darcie Roberts (Babe) does a fine job with her role. Nick Degruccio is a fine comic dancer and singer who is suitably frenetic in his role as Hines. Terra C. McCloed has a great role as “Gladys”: it’s easy to see why this role could make a star--hot dance number and a great “drunken” scene… Robert Pieranuzi as “Prez” is an excellent comedian and Vonetta Mixon steals every scene she’s in as “Mabel.” Nils Anderson channels “Jerry Stiller” as factor owner “Mr. Hassler.” The ensemble does a fine j
ob supporting the lead and featured roles and they do well with what they are given.
-
In the end I have to ask myself--did I not enjoy THE PAJAMA GAME because of my “bad” seat or was it the show itself or just this production? Honestly, I don’t know: I know I enjoyed the second half a lot more than the first. (I overheard several similar comments on the way out and I can’t assume that they all had “bad” seats so maybe it was a flaw in the production.) I’m used to high quality productions from Musical Theater West and this show didn’t quite deliver.
-
FINAL GRADE: C-

No comments: