Tuesday, April 6, 2010

This "Clash" Hardly Titanic

A review about a mythology-themed movie calls for a mythology-themed fractal.  I chose Zeus as today's image because it represents one of the major characters.  That being said, on with the review of Clash Of The Titans.
-
Clash Of The Titans has an interesting history: I think it was 1981 when Director Ray Harryhousen (best known for his stop-motion animated movies in the 1950s-60s) made the first version.  It had a lot of animated clay models and some early computer animation.  Still, it was decidedly "retro" although it did have a certain cheesey charm.  For reasons unknown, someone has decided to remake the movie with a 21st-Century sensibility.  Big mistake in oh so many ways...
-
I had so many problems with the new version of Clash Of The Titans I don't know where to begin.  I guess I could start by complaining how the writers had no respect for the source-material.  (Take a bumch of Greek Myths and place them in a blender without the top then use whatever happens to fly out and stick to the wall.)  The resulting script was a muddy mess filled with stupidness and incomprehensibility at every turn in both characters and situations.  I can't count the number of major Characters in the movie whose names I never learned--much less understood their back-stories.  Add to that a lead performance by Sam Worthngton (Avatar) that could politely described as "wooden."  (Did he ever change expression in the entire movie?  Robyn says "yes" but I don't recall seeing any)  Liam Neeson (in "King Arthur" armor) as Zeus is probably kicking himself for being involved with this travesty.  At least Ralph Finnes has the good luck to be virtually unrecognizable in the role of Hades.  I'd pretty much forgotten the rest of the characters even as I was leaving the theater.
-
At least there was some good battle scenes and special effects.  Their version of the winged stallion Pegasus was probably the best I'd ever seen and the battles with Medusa and the Kraken (which, BTW is a creature of Norse Mythology) looked great.  There was also some pretty nice set design and decoration (although virtually all the movie was rocks and desert with hardly any green anywhere.  The battle scenes and FX were all that prevented this Clash Of The Titans from being a complete groaner. 
-
Robyn and I elected to see the movies in 2D as it was shot.  (The 3D FX were added later)  Would it have made it a better movie?  I doubt it: there is only so much complete crap that can be overcome by good visual effects.  The theater was crowded but I didn't hear a lot of applause or positive commentary as we were walking out so I'll be interested in seeing how well "Clash" does in its second week at the Box Office.  (I'm betting it will take a HUGE did.)  Don't bother rushing to see the movie: it will be out on video soon enough.
-
FINAL GRADE: C- (and that's being charitable)

3 comments:

Jana said...

I was thinking, just by virtue of the trailer ads for the movie, that this was one I should avoid. From what you said about it...there would be no doubt in my mind that I'd wind up throwing popcorn at the screen and booing quite loudly.

Tigger said...

I didn't see this movie, but I did see the 1981 version- and even that wasn't really impressive. The first version did have a few moments to redeem it, though. I'll heed your warning for this one!

The Woman Formerly Known as Jenn said...

Go see How to Train Your Dragon. You won't be sorry!