Tuesday, March 11, 2008

"New" Seven Deadly Sins For The Modern Age

When I’m commenting on matters religious I usually end up going to the “Stained Glass” series of fractals--for obvious reasons. When I saw Stained Glass 24 with that big old “X” right in the center of the image I knew it would be the one. (The only thing that could have made it better would have been if that “X” had been black instead of green…
-
We’ve all heard of the “seven deadly sins”--but, can you name all seven? Robyn and I were able to name five each (but oddly-enough we couldn’t name the SAME five.) Just for the record they are Pride, Envy, Gluttony, Lust, Anger, Greed and Sloth. Now Pope Benedict XVI has added seven NEW “deadly sins.” for the modern age. These new deadly sins include pollution, obscene riches, genetic engineering, taking drugs, pedophilia, abortion and causing social injustice. It’s an interesting list and there is a lot to talk about. I won’t get into whether the Pope (or any Church for that matter) has the right to determine what actions place our souls in jeopardy of eternal damnation: that‘s just going to cause annoyance and bring trouble down on my head. I also won’t get into the Biblical ramifications of this list: that’s a debate for theologians--not an uneducated blogger. I do feel the need to make a few comments on the list.
-
POLLUTION: I can kindasorta buy this one--although I find myself wondering if/when there is a dividing line between venial and moral sins. Does driving an SUV constitute a mortal sin? (I tend to think “yes“--especially when some putz in a monster wagon nuzzles up next to me in a parking lot so I can‘t get in my car.) How about failing to recycle? Using detergents with phosphates that can get into ground water or the ocean? Being “Green” is fashionable right now (even if something we all should be a bit more aware of what we do to our environment) but is this really practical for the average person?
-
OBSCENE WEALTH: this one I love--mainly because I want to know when wealth becomes “obscene.” Jesus himself said (in Matthew 9:24) “it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle then for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” Great wealth, like high office often requires moral compromise--but what if you earn your wealth fairly and honestly? Does simply having the money and not doing good with it constitute a sin? Inquiring minds want to know!
-
GENETIC MANIPULATION: frankly I have trouble getting on board with this one. I can see where people would object to eugenics to breed a “master race” but you have to wonder exactly what constitutes genetic manipulation. (I know the Catholic Church objects to stem-cell research even though there is plenty of potential for health benefits.) Frankly “genetic manipulation” has been going on for hundreds if not THOUSANDS of years! They call it “selective breeding” but it’s genetic manipulation. Do we stop that?
-
TAKING DRUGS: I don’t have a problem with this one--just a question. What constitutes “drugs” exactly? Does alcohol count as a drug? Alcohol abuse is rampant but mostly legal and wine IS a big part of Church history and ritual. Makes for an interesting problem, doesn’t it?”
-
PEDOPHILIA: I can see this one because of the whole “corruption of the innocent “angle, but I find myself wondering if this one goes quite far enough? What about those who push sex on the young? Should George Michael go to hell because he “wants your sex”? How ‘bout Abercrombie and Fitch models? Or the cast of Dawson’s Creek? (They are already going to hell for making egregious television--we already know that!) And while we’re on the subject--where’s adultery on this list? I guess that was covered in the FIRST seven deadly sins…
-
ABORTION: I’m pro ‘choice.’ ‘nuff said. There’s no point in arguing this one. Volumes could be written on this and no minds would be changed.
-
CAUSING SOCIAL INJUSTICE: I like this one--I really do. It’s nice to see the Church holding world leaders accountable for policies that disenfranchise others. Still, it’s going to cause a lot of debate among Republicans.
-
I do find myself a bit annoyed by the Pope singling out the “secularized West” in his commentary (although I don’t know if this is a genuine concern or simply me taking exception to a perceived slap.) These problems are truly global and we really should be concerned. But are these truly “Mortal” Sins--I don’t know…

No comments: