Saturday, June 4, 2011

Burn This Bore

With a post title like Burn This Bore I'd need a fractal "cookie" having to do with fire.  Right?  Right!  So what better than burn something than Cosmic Fire!  Now--on with the review.
-
I admit, I didn't go into Burn The Floor with the best of attitudes: we paid big bucks to see a series of BROADWAY MUSICALS--not some extended feature sequences from Dancing With the Stars or So You Think You Can Dance.  And really, that's all this show is.  Yes, there's (at least a hint of) a story in each dance but after a while everything fades together.  And lets be brutally honest--there are so many way a group of people can lift, twirl and bend each other.  Without an underlying knowledge of the dance(s) you have no context.  It became an exercise in "oh--look at that" and "wow--that--was cool!" but no concept of what I was watching.  Still, I suppose we're just supposed to concentrate on the fact that a bunch of pretty people are gyrating in skimpy/and or ultra-tight outfits that show off those amazing bodies.
-
There's no denying that the dancers on stage have a lot of energy and technical prowess (or so I suppose) but for someone who doesn't know a Cha Cha from a Cucaracha there isn't a lot of reference points.  The show featured Pasha Koralev and Anya Garnis ( two past contestants on So You Think You Can Dance) but, honestly, after a while I couldn't tell the players without a scorecard.  Nobody stood out as better (or worse) than anyone else and I didn't see any glaring mistakes so I guess that was to the good.
-
The music (except for a drummer, percussionist and two singers was all pre-recorded (a minor negative for me) but at least there were no technical glitches and the sound mix was spot on through the whole show.  Both singers (Peter Saul and Vonzell Solomon) had fine pop voices: they had a nice mix of songs to sing and didn't have to fight the backing track.  Sound and lighting were first rate for the whole show.  Costume changes were plentiful  but there was nothing to outrageous on anyone.
-
Burn The Floor is the type of show that is going to have a limited appeal.  Fans of Ballroom and Latin Dancing are sure to love it--but I kind of think it will leave non-Fans feeling a little cold.  Even though the show barely ran two hours (if that) I kind of felt like I was getting too much of (maybe) a good thing.
-
FINAL GRADE: C+

No comments: