Monday, March 21, 2011

"Wicked" Little Changes

Hmm--this blog seems to be in a "green" mood of late...  That being said it's time to explain why I chose Stella Triangularis as the "fractal cookie" for today's review of Wicked.  If you've seen the poster for the show you know it's black, white and green--like this image (and that's why I chose it).  So--on with the review!
-
I'm an unabashed (and completely unapologetic) fan of the Broadway musical Wicked.  The story of perennial outsider Elphaba who never seems to catch a break somehow resonate with me.  Further the show asks important questions on the nature of Good and Evil.  Is it real or merely a matter of perception?  (In these turbulent times it's an important question to ask).  Most of the complexities of the book have been altered or eliminated altogether but it works on stage.  The show can be enjoyed without delving into the deeper layers of the plot but they are there for those who choose to look.  A few small changes have been made in the script but they only serve to tighten up the show and clarify a few points that were left a bit murky in the older productions.
-
All the musical numbers you know (or will know) and love are left in tact and the six-piece touring orchestra is augmented by nine local musicians giving the show a much fuller sound than many touring musicals.  The special effects are there and work as well (if not better) this time around.  There seem to be a few fewer chorus members than I remember from the first time I saw the show and they aren't quite as musically able either.  (Still, you'd have to be a trained musician or have a real familiarity with the show's music.)  I find Natalie Daradich to be ever-so-slightly disappointing as Galinda; her reading of the character is way too similar to Billie Burke's "Good Witch of the North (from The Wizard of Oz) for my personal taste and she had a tendancy to go a bit sharp on her big notes.  Anne Brummel as Elphaba had her own issues with the music as well but she usually managed to cheat her way through the songs without the majority of the audience noticing.  The rest of the cast ranged from quite good to excellent (although I didn't spot any standouts).  The sets and costumes are first rate even if the choreography was a bit less than spectacular.  Still, these are minor quibbles and you'd have to have a shriveled little soul NOT to be moved by the show  (I'll leave you to decide whether my soul is shriveled or not.)  Robyn and I saw the show with our friend Art Plinski (a Wicked virgin) and he seemed to really enjoy it.
-
No doubt it's only a matter of time until Wicked is released to Regional Theaters and then local productions.  I'm not sure how well they will be able to pull off the special effects in the show so I'd suggest you see the show in all it's glory if you get an opportunity.  I guarantee you won't regret it.
-
FINAL GRADE: A     

No comments: