Monday, September 27, 2010

Not This Movie Again--PLEASE Not This Movie Again

I was looking for a particular image to go with this blog but thanks to "improvements" made to Webshots I couldn't find it: I did blunder across an image titled Double Ring which seemed suitable for a review of a movie with a wedding theme.  So sit back and enjoy the review of You Again--unless of course you've made other plans...
-
I found I identified with Marni (played by cutie-bie Kristin Bell) at the start of You Again.  She was an "ugly duckling" looking in on the High School experience as an outsider who made a tranformation in college.  No, I didn't become a successful Press Agent with desginer clothes and a $300 haircut but I did manage to re-invent myself (a bit) and learned how to make peace with my inner geek.  That's why it was so easy for me to spot the fakery and outright dishonesty of this movie.  For those of you wise enough to avoid this movie here's a brief plot synopsis.
-
After a tormented High School experience Marni re-invents herself in college and moves on to a wonderful, successful life.  All that changes though when she returns to her small hometown to attend her "perfect" older brother's wedding to Joamma (Odette Justman) who was Marni's chief tormentor.  Arriving at home she discovers her entire family has fallen under Joanna's spell and, worst of all, Joanna doesn't seem to even REMEMBER her: once again Marni finds herself on the outside looking in and things just get worse as the movie goes along.
-
This is where the movie lost me: all Marni needed to do was simply say (at the first meeting around the family dinner table) was "you made my life miserable all through high school and it still hurts".  Then Joanna could respond: "I know and I'm truly sorry" (but that would have ended the movie before it started).  Instead Marni goes through a series of humiliations as she plots to get the truth out.  When it finally DOES come out Joanna brushes her off and is quick to revert to her "mean girl" ways  (which inevitably results in Joanna being exposed and a girl fight before the tacked-on reconciliation and happyily-ever-after ending required of all Disney releases.)
-
Oh, and before I forget there's a parallel story involving Marni's Mom Gail (Jamie Lee Curtis--rocking her super-short gray hair and "Activia" body) and Joanna's Aunt Mona--who were best friends until something happened.  Sigurney Weaver makes it work but she labors mightly to produce little result.
-
The always-reliable Betty White prevents this movie from going completely into the toilet: her scenes are always funny even though one of them is totally cringe-worthy.  Kristin Chenowith doesn't have much impact as ditzy celebrity Wedding Planner Georgia King.  Kyle Bornheimer looks sad as Joanna's jilted boyfriend Tim and every scene he's in gave me severe "butt cringe".  Generally, I like this guy but I find anything remotely redeemable in this performance.  (Kyle--if you have a brain in your pointy little head you'll disavow this movie and find a way to delete any mention of your performance.)
-
This movie doesn't have a shred of honesty, integrity or originality.  It's a badly-written sitcom masquerading as a movie.  This is a "chick flick" that any "chick" with half a brain will RUN from.  DON'T waste your time going to the theater to see this movie (no matter how hot it is outside) DON'T rent the movie and DEFINITELY don't buy it!  If you are crazy for Betty White rent the movie (once) and fast forward through her scenes.  (Then take a long shower with industrial-strength cleaner and hope you can wash the stink off.)
-
FINAL GRADE: F+
 

1 comment:

Vendla said...

Yeah...no thanks...I think I'll pass on this movie. Does not sound like a fun way to pass a few hours in the theatre!