Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The "Ground Zero Mosque and the Qran Burning: Religious Freedom and Stupidity

I picked ArabDiamond 39 because I always pick something "Arab"-y for commentary on the situation in the Middle East and this particular situation makes me feel sad.  Also I feel that I'm probably going to get some backwash from a lot of my loyal readers (shout out to Lance!) and I fully expect I'm going to get raked over the cold.  Oh well--that being said, on with today's rant!
-
I wasn't going to comment on the "Ground Zero Mosque" but then Pastor Terry (Big-Fat-Idiot) Jones of Gainesville Florida grabbed national headlines by announcing he intends to burn copies of the Qran in remembrance of 9-11.  General David Petreus urged him not to go through with it because the act would enrage Muslims world wide and put American troops in danger--particularly in Aphganistan.  Just saw a bit of a news conference where Jones announced he was going through with it no matter what because "a statement needed to be made."
-
Much as it pains me to say it, I have no choice BUT to support his right to make an ass of himself.  Book burning--ANY book burning makes me uncomfortable but Jones has the right to express his viewpoint (no matter how stupid or potentially dangerous his views may be).  I just wish the media didn't feel the need to give this guy so much coverage (but I suppose that's a topic for another post).  Still, Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Expression are two of our most core values and I have to respect that even when I disagree with the views expressed.
-
Which brings me to the other half of today's commentary--the "Ground Zero" Mosque.  Is it insensitive?  Maybe--although I would hope that people would realize that they shouldn''t hold an entire religion at fault for the acts of a few crazies with their towels wound too tightly.  Still, even if you don't like the Islamic faith a "real" American would defend their right to build and worship where they choose in whatever manner they wish.  Freedom isn't freedom if it doesn't apply equally to all.
-
Mind you, I'm not in any way excusing the actions of the 9-11 terrorists: I'm no fan of Fundamentalists of ANY stripe (and sadly, Islam lends itself to crazy).  That being said, I don't confuse the actions of a few with members of an entire faith.  (Nobody condems all Christians because of the actions of someone like Timothy McVeigh or Mormos because of Warren Jeffs.)  I'd love to know who is whipping up the frenzy against the Mosque--and why.  (Frankly I'm more worried about somebody like them than Muslims with no connection to terrorism.
-
In the end, the situation boils down to two simple but related concepts.  Freedom of Expression HAS to include the freedom to put your foot in your mouth and say something stupid.  (Of course ot also means you have to accept the consequences of your actions.)  Likewise Freedom of Religion has to extend to religions we don't like.  If you don't support both sides of the concept you don't really support freedom at all...
-
Think about it.
-
'nuff said.

2 comments:

ColoradoIceBear said...

I think you might be surprised about my opinions on the two subjects. I agree with you that both the ding-a-ling in Florida and the folks in NYC have the right to do what they are doing. I think both are incredibly insensitive acts. The doofus down in Florida is just doing what he's doing to bring attention to him and his church - regardless of the consequences to Americans around the world. I think there are far more effective and far more sensitive ways to get his point across. I feel the same way about the mosque in NYC. I think it is highly insensitive and offensive that they are choosing to build their mosque right there. There is no valid reason for them to build it there except to thumb their noses at the American people. Everyone is telling them not to build there, the Governor has offered locations for them to build in areas that will not offend anyone and yet they still insist on moving forward. You would think that if they are trying to mend fences and build a bridge of friendship that they would take note but I guess not.

Vendla said...

Everyone has the right to be stupid, I just hope that the rest of us are strong enough to endure any backlash that may come from the book burning (which I am completely against no matter what it may be about), or the building of the mosque. Honestly the ding-a-ling, and the Muslims that are insisting on having their way are showing insensitivity to ALL cultures with their actions.