Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Looking Back: How Well Did I Do?

So the 2007-08 TV Season has come and gone--after being cut short by the writer’s strike. Way back on 10/18/08 I posted a list of predictions. Now it’s time to look back and see how I did. The fractal for this post is CRYSTAL since I never made a fractal called “Crystal Ball”.
-
ALIENS IN AMERICA (CW): I predicted this show wouldn’t see a second season. FATE: “Alien” was deported from the schedule.
-
BACK TO YOU (FOX): I thought the show should die a quick death but it hung on for a full year before Fox put a bullet in its head. Sadly, CBS may pick up the show as a midseason replacement. (How weird is that?)

-
BIG SHOTS (ABC): I thought this show couldn’t miss with Mark Cherry at the helm and a well-known and talented cast. Boy was I wrong. FATE: Big Shots missed big time.
-
BIONIC WOMAN (NBC): I said “nostalgia won’t keep the fan boys watching so this new version won’t last. FATE: dark and edgy (maybe too much so), the geek-boys stayed away in droves--as did everyone else.
-
CANE (CBS): I didn’t see this big-budget soap lasting. FATE: Came was cut down in November.
-
CARPOOLERS (ABC): I predicted this dismal comedy would be “permanently parked before 2008” and it was!
-
CAVEMEN (ABC): went extinct early. Sadly the Geico commercials are still playing--and still annoying.
-
CHUCK (NBC): surprisingly the network decided to give this show another chance in spite of low ratings. Yay NBC!
-
DIRTY SEXY MONEY (ABC): I predicted it would be a big hit for ABC and it was (after a fashion). The show was the highest-rated new drama on the network (which wasn’t saying much). Critical praise helped give the show a second season.
-
ELI STONE (ABC): I didn’t review this show last year because it was a mid-season replacement. Still, I wanted to give it whatever mild buzz I can since this quality, quirky legal drama has made it back for a second season. WATCH THIS SHOW!!!
-
GOSSIP GIRL (CW): the biggest hit for the CW got an early full-season pick-up for the network. FATE: no big surprise, it was renewed.
-
JOURNEYMAN (NBC) ended just as it was starting to pick up steam and move beyond Quantum Leap retreads. This would be a fine channel for the Sci Fi Channel to pick up but nobody’s is biting. Dunno why…
-
K-VILLE (Fox): was “X”-ed early.
-
LIFE IS WILD (CW): I predicted this show would go extinct by the end of the season. FATE: extinct.
-
MOONLIGHT (CBS): I predicted the Network would “stake” the show before the end of the season. FATE: much to my surprise the show made it to the end of the year and even had some new episodes after the Writers’ Strike before CBS killed it off. The CW may pick up the show for next year.
-
PRIVATE PRACTICE (ABC): keeps its doors open for another year (even though it and Grey’s Anatomy are weaker for the spin off.
-
PUSHING DAISIES (ABC): the quirkiest show on Network Television since Twin Peaks (also on ABC oddly enough) was a Critics darling but didn’t have super ratings. Still, it will be back for a second season.
-
REAPER (CW): I expected the show to be in Purgatory by season’s end. FATE: makes it back for a second year even though it was only a marginal hit for the Network.
-

SAMANTHA WHO? (ABC): I thought this show would do well and it was the only comedy hit for ABC. FATE: back for another year.
-
WOMEN’S MURDER CLUB (ABC): this show started off strong and was a HUGE Friday night hit. It was, IMHO, the best and freshest Crime Drama on television and I thought it would do very well. FATE: the “Club” won’t be meeting any longer. Too bad. Lets hope another network picks it up.

No comments: