Friday, February 22, 2008

The McCain "Affair": I Just Had To Comment

I picked today’s image--Grayscale 3--because of the shape and color. I see it as a convoluted mess in shades of gray while some others might see it as a nothing but black and white. Rather like the situation I’ll be discussing…
-
Wednesday the New York Times featured a “Page One” story saying Republican front-runner John McCain may have had an “inappropriate” relationship with 31 year-old telecommunications lobbyist Vicki Iseman. During his run in 2004. McCain characterized the woman as “a friend“ and vigorously denied the accusation. The newspaper stands by their story. (Feel free to research the story if you need all the gory details.)
-
Did he or didn’t he? Frankly--I don’t know and frankly I don’t care. The lady is pretty enough and if McCain is “gettin’ some” more power to him: that’s between him and his wife and shouldn’t concern anyone else. What I find interesting is who is saying what about the story. The Democrats aren’t commenting at present (but you gotta know they are digging in to this story looking for anything they can use). Republican commentators are ramping up the old “liberal media bias” song and dance (while ignoring the fact that the “liberal media” has given them their platform). Elizabeth Hasslebeck claimed this final “proved” the liberal bias of the New York Times (which, by the way, is the same paper that endorsed John McCain as the Republican candidate for President a few weeks earlier). Rush Limbaugh stated: “this is what happens when you reach across the aisle.” (What the hell does that even mean? How is it relevant? Can someone tell me?)
-
Personally I found a little fact buried in the article to be the most interesting part of the story. It seems that while McCain was Chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee several of Ms. Iseman’s clients got important contracts--and they also contributed heavily to McCain’s campaign. (Oddly enough this part of the story isn‘t getting any coverage at all and I really wonder why.) Is it inappropriate? I don’t know but it seems a trifle “fishy” to me. Maybe it’s just doing political “business as usual” but I’d like to know more. McCain has run as the candidate of “character” but it seems he’s no better than any other politician. Maybe that is the price we have to pay for those running for office but it still makes me sad.
-
Is there more to come in the story? God I hope so--otherwise the newspaper may have hung itself out to dry. All I know for certain is that we need to know more about their relationship so I hope the story doesn‘t die or get swept under the rug.

-
Think about it.

No comments: