Sunday, August 7, 2011

Genre-Blender

I chose Nightfire as today's fractal cookie because it reflects something that happens in the movie Cowboys and Aliens.  Enjoy today's review (unless of course you've made other plans--in which case what are you doing reading this post!)
-
I think I saw the first trailer for Cowboys and Aliens on Christmas Day 2010: it made Tron Legacy almost bearable.  I looked at Robyn and said something like "oooh--we gotta go see that!"  (In fact, after the last "Harry Potter" film this was the movie I most looked forward to of the summer.)  She agreed and, one week after it's release we finally did.  So was it worth the wait--read on and decide for yourself.
-
Cowboys and Aliens reminds me a lot of a somewhat less-good True Grit mixed with a healthy dash of Independence Day (the alien invaders even have a decided resemblance to the ones).  I can't help but feel like I've seen all the elements of this movie before: yes, they are well done here but I kept waiting and hoping to be surprised and I never was.  This movie was populated by cardboard characters that move around on a well-oiled track that takes you right where you expect to go.
-
Daniel Craig leaves behind his James Bond smoothness to play Jake Lonnergan as Shane Part Deux: he does stoic really well but without a touch of subtlety or nuance (and few changes in facial expression).  Still, he's supposed to be the stranger in town: that's how he starts and that's how he leaves.  Harrison Ford gets the largely-thankless part of Woodrow Dolarhyde, the richest man in these parts who ain't afraid to throw his weight and power around.  At least he has a mildly-interesting character bit involving one of his hired hands (which I won't spoil here).  Olivia Wilde looks pretty and is suitably mysterious as Ella, a young lady who knows more than she should about the strange goings-on in town.  Sam Rockwell plays Doc, a milquetoast man-of peace (right out of Coward of the County) who must discover his inner badass to save his woman.
-
The movie is shot in washed-out tones (a la True Grit) when it isn't done in blue and gray shades for the interior scenes.  Costumes are of the grunge school that seems common to most Westerns these days.  The effects are adequate and the few shots of alien craft look cool.  The script leaves a lot of questions unanswered (and the myriad of plot holes here are hardly worth mentioning).  The score is suitably epic: I don't know who wrote the music but it reminds me of John Williams.  The violence is strictly PG13 (a lot of fighting but no graphic bloodbaths) and there are two separate scenes involve Jake and Ella being unclad.  Profanity is often but nobody drops the "F-Bomb" so I'm guessing the movie is suitable for all but very young children and those of delicate sensibilities.
-
In spite of the tone of this review Cowboys and Aliens isn't a BAD movie--it's just not all that good.  It's a fun "check your brain at the door" romp but don't expect any grand revelations.  I think I was disappointed because I was hoping for more from the movie and just didn't get it.  Go see it only if you don't have anything better to do--otherwise wait until it come out on DVD.
-
FINAL GRADE:         

No comments: