Thursday, February 10, 2011

Putting the "Duh" In "Dumb"

I chose 4 Red Rings as today's fractal "cookie" because of the red, white and blue color scheme.  It's "all-American"--just like this rant!  So--if you love juicy scandal just as much as I do, sit back and enjoy this one!
-
Ran across an interesting story earlier this morning: Republican Chris Lee from upstate New York suddenly resigned after gossip web site Gawker.com published a shirtless photo he sent to a woman he met at a "women seeking men" posting on Craigslist.  (Here's the link to the story I published on my Facebook page: http://znmoment.amplify.com/2011/02/09/i-am-too-sexy-for-my-shirt-congressman-resigns-amid-craigslist-scandal/ .)  My FB friends can find a really interesting and lengthy conversation regarding the scandal.  
-
Gawker.com had the photos and e-Mail for a week before publishing (in order to verify their authenticity).  Still, 3 1/2 hours after the story and pictures broke Representative Lee resigned.  His resignation letter said: "It has been a tremendous honor to serve the people of Western New York. I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents. I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness."
-
What wasn't obvious as the story broke was a few interesting details that didn't make it into the early reportage.  Representative Lee tried to be clever (my opinion) by not using his real name and by not admitting to profession in his flirtation.  Still, he sent this lady the shirtless pic and the photo that was on his professional web site.  Dunno why the lady in question felt the need to run them through a photo matching program to see who he really was.  I also don't know why she felt the need to send them to Gawker but I'm sure glad she did!  (I love the smell of scandal in the morning.)  Further, there are reports that House Speaker John Boehner (R/Ohio) had warned him about partying with femal lobbyists.  Oh, and one more bit of delightful dirt, turns out Representative Lee had recently spoken to a group of youngster regarding the "dangers of the Internet".  Too bad he didn't listen to his own advice.  Talk about putting the "duh!" in dumb!
-
In all honesty, I've got to say I feel sorry for the guy's wife and child.  They don't deserve what's going to happen to them because of Representative Lee's "little mistake."  But, also in all honesty, I have to say that I love it when folks who cloak themselves in "family values" and wrap themselves in the flag get brought low by their own stupidity.  The fact that he was so quick to quit makes me wonder what else is going to come out about the guy--but I guess we're just going to have to wait to see what, if anything, falls out. 
-
You'd think politicians would learn: times have changed!  These days there is no such thing as a "cloak of invisibility."  The press isn't going to cover up your indiscritions like they did in the good old days.  Step out of line, you're going to get caught!  Still, Representative Lee has one thing he can take comfort in--he looks half way good without a shirt.  That pic is going to be out there for a very long time--and it would be even worse if he looked bad!  Who knows?  Maybe he'll have a new career as a centerfold... 
-
'nuff said.      

1 comment:

Vendla said...

I've noticed that politicians seem to think they are automatically immune to the rules of right and wrong. Gee how could they possibly be invisible, now that they are serving the PUBLIC!?

Invisible, invincible, and a license to do stupid shit? I don't think so!