Saturday, October 30, 2010

Not Worth The Trek

A review of the Star Trek Exhibition requires a star-themed fractal--or so it seems to me.  I chose Starcircle mainly because the colors reminded me of that odd mustard shirt Captain Kirk used to wear in the original series.
-
I'm no "Trekker" (and certainly not a "Trekkie") but I've been a pretty big fan of Star Trek since Day One.  I only got to see a few first run episodes in my youth but I devoured the reruns from the moment we got cable (and to this day tune in when to some of my favorite episodes when they're broadcast).  I was there through all of Star Trek: the Next Generation and caught up with ruruns of DS-9 and Voyager.  I wasn't a huge fan of Enterprise (the last/first Star Trek show but I was over-the-moon for the re-boot a couple of years ago.  Needless to say I'd been wanting to see the Star Trek Exhibiton since it was first created but circumstances always conspired against me and wasn't able to make it.  I missed the show in Long Beach, I missed it in Vegas and I missed it in Los Angeles.  Today I finally got to see it.
-
What a letdown...
-
Maybe it was the fact that we parked four blocks away (there being nothing closer) or maybe it was because I went hiking in dress shoes.  (It rained here last night and I didn't want to risk my nice suede causual shoes in puddles--of which there were many).  Maybe it was the early lunch in a crowded, noisy (not to mention expensive) little restaurant or maybe I was just in a pissy mood.  Still, tickets to the show was what I asked for as my birthday gift and I was bound and determined to enjoy myself.
-
The exhibition offerings were pretty slim--nothing from the pilot episodes and only a few costumes from the original series.  (William Shatner is a TINY man BTW...)  Like any costume you don't want to get too close because then you can see all the little imperfectsions (of which there were many in the first show).  Still, it was good to get a look at the old stuff.  "TNG" was much better represented (having run for seven years and by then Paramount knew this stuff would be valueable one day) and "Voyager" gets a brief mention.  There were re-constructions of the "Enterprise D" Medical Bay and Engineering Section which was kind of cool as well.
-
Still, the show is notable for what it leaves out.  There are no models of any of the ships (they've long been sold off to collectors) and the assembly of costumes seems frankly random.  Kirk gets a lot of coverage but Spock barely gets a mention and the rest of the crew gets mentioned not at all.  There are several Picard costumes and a few Troi ensembles but not much from the other characters in TNG.  Katherine Janeway has one ensemble but that's about it for Voyager.  Enterprise and the re-boot don't even get mentioned.
-
Trekkers have seen this stuff before (and probably better examples) at conventions and those not utterly devoted to the series won't find a lot to inspire them.  Mind you--the Star Trek Exhiition isn't all that BAD (particcularly considering it only cost $15.00 to get in) but it's really not all that good either.  See it if you have a few extra bucks and nothing better to do...
-
FINAL GRADE: C-    

No comments: