Monday, March 8, 2010

Alice: the Next Generation

In The Cards seems like an appropriate fractal image for my review of Alice In Wonderland not only for the "card" imagery but because of he red and white color scheme.  So--on with the review.
-
If ever there was a Director "destined" to work on a new version of Alice In Wonderland I suppose it would be Tim Burton.  After all, he helmed projects like the screen adaptation of Sweeney Todd, as well as Edward Sciscrhands, not to mention quirky classic like Ed and Sleepy Hollow (all of which starred Johnny Depp--who also happens to have a featured role in this movie.)  I found it a bit surprising that this new "Alice" would come from the Disney Studios (who released the psychoedlic cartoon version some forty-odd years ago).  This is clearly an "Alice" for the next generation: I just wish it had been better.
-
Viewers should know this movie isn't a remake of Alice In Wonderland--it's a sequel.  (I've seen a number of reviews that call the movie a remake and frankly it bugs me.)  Those expecting unrelenting cuteness won't find it in this Alice--nor will they find the psychedlia of the Disney cartoon.  This "Underland" is a dark and quirky place that has a certain murky beauty and quirkiness to spare.   Visually the movie is quite striking although in all honesty I don't think the 3DFX added anythink (unlike Avatar where they really took the movie to another level).  The Red Queens "cards" were the best depiction I'd ever seen but the rest of the visualizations didn't rise above the pedestrian.
-
As for the story--this movie is nothing special: Alice is a product of repressive Victorian England and longing to break free of all the expecations placed on a girl of her station.  Once she arrives in "Underland" Alice finds the locals have expectations of their own.  Along the way there is villany aplenty and plenty of characters with motives and behavior as chaotic as you'd expect.  How does Alice dea?  Will she save Underland and gain her own sense of identity?  You'll have to see the movie to find out.  Suffice it to say you probably already know the answer.
-
Mia Wasikowska (love that name!) is pretty as a picture as Alice and does well-enough with what she's given.   Johnny Depp (as the Mad Hatter) and Helena Bonham Carter (as the Red Queen) give a "been there, done that" performances in their roles.  Ann Hathaway didn't leave much of an impression as the White Queen but almost any pretty actress could have filled the role.  Stephen Fry and Michael Sheen leave surisingly little presence as the Cheshire Cat and the White Rabbit.  Still, you can't blame them since they can only work with what the script gives them.  Alan Rickman channels Severus Snape as the Caterpillar: I found that a bit distracted since I kept visualizing the "Harry Potter" villain.  (Is he the "go to" guy for Officious Englishmen?)
-
I wanted to love this movie: really I did.  Alice In Wonderland has been a favorite since childhood,  I appreciate Tim Burton and Johnny Depp and their quirkiness.  I was hoping for a lot from this movie and it simply--didn't--deliver.  This version of Alice In Wonderland suffers from the unpardonable sin of being ORDINARY.  Was it a good movie?  Yes.  Was it $12 for a matinee good (In Riverside California)?  Not hardly.  Still, I suspect I'm in the minority: this movie made over 116 MILLION DOLLARS domestically in its opening weekend (shattering all kinds of Box Office rexords.)  Showings sold out all over and there were tons of people waiting in the line (in the rain no less) to get in.  Most people in the theater really seemed to enjoy the show so maybe you'll have to go and decide for yourself.
-
FINAL GRADE: C+

2 comments:

Tigger said...

I think I'll wait until it comes out on DVD. $12 is a bit much even in today's economy for 'ordinary'.

Vendla said...

I have been rather underwhelmed by the previews of the movie, and had made up my mind it was a lot of hype and no substance worthy of my money. Your review cinched it. I'm saving my money!