Monday, June 30, 2008

Monday "Gratitudes"

Today’s post begins with a fractal called Medal. I chose it because I believe everyone I mention in this post deserves one: the image was as close as I could come. So please accept my humble thanks and gratitude for all that you’ve done.
-
Some months ago, an on-line friend began sending “Gratitudes” to a list we both belong to. Her name is Brenda Santer and she lives in Saskatoon Saskatchewan: we’ve never met or spoken but have carried on a friendship that has lasted for almost ten years. Admittedly, I often don’t read her “Gratitudes”--not because I don’t care or don't want to but because I’m buried in e-Mail. (I get a s##t load of e-Mail.) Right now she’s having a lot of troubles in “RL” but she still posts these “gratitudes” about once a week.
-
I’m the type of person who tends to look at the glass being half empty rather than half full. All too often I find I concentrate on what I don’t have rather than what I DO have. But once I started thinking about it I came to realize that I have quite a bit to be grateful for. I made a list of all the things for which I am grateful and decided to post it on my blog. I think it's a nice change from bitching about politics local scandals. (NOTE TO MY “LOYAL“ READERS: if you didn’t make the list that doesn’t mean I’m NOT grateful for you. It is by no means complete but I think it’s a good start…)
-
RON’S GRATITUDES
ROBYN: my titian-haired everluscious lady has stuck with me through thick and thin and seldom wanted to put me out. I’m glad I can still make you laugh after all these years. I don’t know how many other women would consent to be my life-sized “Barbie” doll and let me play dress-up with her. My dearest love--you are as talented as she is beautiful and always makes me smile inside. You are more special then you will know and I am more grateful for you than anyone or anything else I have in my life.
-
MY FAMILY: Wanda, who never hesitates to lend to lend a helping hand, Jane who has opened her home so many times to my unexpected visits and always been a wonderful hostess, Andrea who is as talented as she is witty and who somehow always makes me laugh and Tanya who doesn’t throttle me when we discuss politics. I couldn’t ask for a better bunch of sisters--even when you DO frustrate me a bit (as I‘m sure I do them on a regular basis). I am also grateful for Missy who is the best Niece an Uncle could ask for (even though I don’t think she gets me most of the time), for my Nephew Glenn-Bob because he DOES get it (and he lets me call him “Glenn-Bob” even though that’s not his name!) For Lance and his wife Jenn--both cool people who let me call their first-born "Michael Recycle". And for my niece Jenn DeGarmo who turned out to be way more talented then me. I’m even grateful for my Sister-in-Law Wendy (the Sex Dwarf) because my antics never fail to make her laugh. I can't finish this secion without also expressiing gratitude for my half-brother Keith who has welcomed us as part of his family after a separation that lasted for almost fifty years. I am grateful for the opportunity to get to know my half-niece Audrey from New Zealand who is beyond awesome too.
-
MY FRIENDS: my real-world friends Alison Young and Andrea Pitzenbarger are the coolest ladies anyone could ever ask for as friends. For Paul "Sprocket" Schmidit because what would "Chubbs" be without a "Sprocket"? I am lucky to have people like you in my life. Alison’s daughter Eris (whom I’ve known since I was her “cah-gee-oh”) has turned out to be an awesome young lady that I am proud to know. I don’t fear for the world with people like her in the younger generation. I am grateful for my Church Family who are so kind and supportive--especially Bill Fugard (without whom I’d have been lost in Choir for these past twelve years) Terry Dooley (who taught me a lot about wine and cars) and for Lionel and Marsha Grove who show us all what a marriage should be. I am also grateful for the on-line community of friends I’ve made over the years: Chris H, (who I‘ve known longer than anyone) Jana, (my favorite witch and adopted sister) Andy from England, Sean and Tracy form New Jersey and all the folks from Elysium who have been so supportive through my trials and tribulations. I appreciate all of your talents and the gift of your friendship and have become a better person because of you. I can’t end this section without also thanking Brenda who has inspired me more times than she will ever know. I love writing with you and hope we’ll continue to be e-Mail buddies for a long time.
-
THE MOVE: yes, packing is a hassle and the process is going to be a huge P.I.T.A. Still, it gives us a chance to get rid of stuff we don’t need and probably should have tossed long ago. In all honesty the move is going to be an upgrade: our new home is larger and in a better neighborhood. Our new town is smaller which means fewer big city problems and a MUCH shorter (five minutes!) commute. Still, should we want, the OC and Los Angeles are just over the mountains.
-
GOOD FOOD, GOOD MUSIC, THEATER and GOOD FRIENDS to enjoy then with. These are my personal passions. Living where I do I have the opportunity to see wonderful live theater and concerts as well as a lot of wonderful dining options. Whether it be national tours or regional theater I’ve had an opportunity to see a lot of wonderful shows and concerts that I’d have missed should I have not have moved to the OC. I don’t think that needs much more explanation.
-
MY TALENT: this is complete vanity (and maybe shouldn‘t be on the list) but I‘m putting it in anyway. I am grateful that I can express myself through music, poetry and creative writing. I may not be the best at any of them but I certainly am glad I have the ability and opportunity to get this stuff out of my head and off my chest in a creative way. Without them I probably be completely “coco-loco” by now.
-
YOU: anyone who takes time out of their schedule to take a look at my writings has given me a special gift. I appreciate your time and input (should you choose to leave any).
-
My life may not be the best in the world but I really do have a lot to be grateful for. Compared to most of the world I have it pretty damn good--and so do we all.
-
Think about it (and maybe start your OWN list of gratitudes…)

No comments: