Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Baron Looks at "Sex"

Today’s post begins with a fractal called Bows and Feathers. I picked it because of the many colors, and frothy content: it reminded me of the movie I’ll be reviewing. Besides, I couldn’t come up with anything better for Sex and the City
-
I probably should begin this review with a confession: I’m not a big fan of Sex and the City. By all rights I should have been--I live by the words “eggshell and ecru--there IS a difference and the difference IS important!” The show is a wonderful, frothy confection with a hint of spice--just what I like! Still, I never had HBO and they took all the “good stuff” (nudity) out for broadcast television so I don’t think I’ve ever watched an entire episode of the series. That was one of the many reasons I was worried about seeing the movie and waited to see it. Still, Robyn decided she wanted to see it so we finally went… Something else you should probably know--you DON’T have to be a fan of the series to enjoy the movie.
-
The movie begins with quick recaps of the four leads back story. It’s a bit talky (as is a lot of this movie) but even a non-fan like me quickly learns all they need to know about all the characters. Carrie Bradshaw (Sarah Jessica Parker) is the central figure and narrator. Her story involves the trials and tribulations of her marriage to “Big” (Chris Noth). Fiftyish, once and future sex kitten Samantha Jones (Kim Catrall) has left NYC for the shores of Malibu to manage her actor boy toy Smith (Jason Lewis) and she has begun to feel like she's losing her own identity. Big shot lawyer Miranda Hobbes (Cynthia Nixon) has moved to Brooklyn with her bartender boyfriend Steve Brady (David Eigenberg): they are having “intimacy issues.” Charlotte York (Kristen Davis) has married to lawyer Harry Goldblatt (Evan Handler) and they have adopted a baby girl form China. (Miranda is the only one who is happy and stays that way through the whole movie.) Several “old favorites” from the series also make brief return visits. Jennifer Hudson (fresh off of her Oscar-winning role in Dreamgirls) plays new character Louise who has a small but pivotal role in moving the story forward.
-
You can probably figure out most of the plot details from the above description. The plot is pretty standard except for a few things that made me go “say what?” (Honestly, I don’t know if that was just me being a non-fan or if the writers “oopsed” a bit during the scripting.) The actors all serve their roles adequately and the direction never gets in the way of the story. Jennifer Hudson won’t be winning an Oscar this time for her performance but she may well be their for her performance of the song under the closing credits. The movie, like the series, has a real love affair with New York City--and the city almost becomes a character in itself.
-
Sex and the City is THE summer’s “chick flick” but guys can enjoy it too. Fans of the series will surely love it and non-fans will at least enjoy it. Men probably won’t completely hate it and kids shouldn’t see it. (The movie has some nudity and a lof of rough language but I don’t think they were included for gratuitous purposes.) By now I imagine it will be a bit hard to find this movie in a first-run theater but it’s well worth checking out in a second-run house or on DVD.
-
FINAL GRADE: B

No comments: