Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Another Act Joins the Carona "Circus"

I picked today’s image--Twisty 2--because I think the title suit’s the post. Read the blog and see if you agree…
-
If there haven’t been enough twists and turns in the case of embattled former-Sherriff Mike Carona--now have a new wrinkle. A couple of Los Angeles DJ’s John (Kobylt) and Ken (Chiampu) have started a segment on their radio show called “Taint the Jury Pool” in which they are encouraging any of their listeners who happen to get selected to lie to the Judge and Lawyers so they could be seated on the Jury in order to get Carona convicted.
-
Mind you, I’m no fan of Sherriff Carona: my reasons are many and few of them are logical. Still--I find myself wondering about this stunt. My favorite O.C. Register Columnist Frank Mikedeit suggest they are either anarchists or take their listeners for fools in his April 7 column. (Check out the whole report with this link:
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/john-carona-jury-2011573-candidates-ken. I’m sure the Sherriff is guilty of something but even I wouldn’t be so stupid as to attempt to perjure myself just to send the dude up the river. John Kobylt was completely unapologetic saying they were “mocking the system” and they “have no respect for it.”
-
As much as I dislike our former Sherriff I dislike this sort of thing even more. Come on! This is just DUMB! The justice system IS flawed--but it’s the only one we have. (Personally, I feel that Carona is working the system for all he’s worth but that’s beside the point.) If the feds have a case they should be allowed to present it and let them weigh the case on its own merits. Trying to convince the Jury he is guilty on a whim just seems wrong to me somehow.
-
Still, if you want another reason that Carona was (at best) “shady” and (at worst) completely incompetent you should check out the District Attorney’s report on the jailhouse beating of John Chamberlain. (One deputy sent over twenty personal text messages while the inmate was being beaten to death: another one was literally sleeping on the job.) Still, with everything that was wrong in the jail no criminal charges were filed against ANYONE. And do you know why? Mainly because Sherriff Carona refused to turn the investigation over to the D.A.’s office when the trouble started. He refused to testify before a Grand Jury and helped in the cover-up. Nice job Sherriff!

No comments: