Thursday, December 6, 2007

Story Update: Jeffrey Nielsen

Today's fractal image is a pretty random choice. I chose Arrow Rainbow because of the twisted and pointy nature--and that suits the story.
-
Now here is a quick update on a news story I commented on some time ago. Back on March 16 2007 I wrote a post titled "It's Simply a Question of Believeability." where I commented on the trial of fromer lobbyist and Republican power-player Jeffrey Nielsen who had been accused of molesting a 14 year-old boy. Back then I thought there was definitely inappropriate conduct (and that he was probably guilty of something--but I maintained I couldn't convict him on something that may or may not have happened. The trial ended with a hung jury and the prosecutor vowing to continue to investigate.
-

They did and dug up new evidence: they even added molestation charges against a second minor (this one from Virginia) Yesterday, December 5, Nielsen accepted a plea deal that will give him three years in State Prison (of which he must spend at least 80% of the sentance behind bars). He will also have to register as a sex offender when he finally gets out.
-
Should Nielsen have admitted it back when the whole thing came up? Probably. Would he have gotten a lighter sentance if he'd come forward when there was only one charge and less evidence? Again, probably. In the end, all I know for certain is that I feel sorry for all concerned except Jeffrey Nielsen. He deserves everything he's getting and more.

No comments: